Welcome

We have moved! Check out our new blog: Everyday Moodlings.

Friday, December 12, 2014

12 Fun Ways to Use Brads


12 Fun Ways to Use Brads

What a fun week.  I got to research ways to use brads.  Many of these I have used in the past, but I did find some new and fun techniques to try.


#1: Create a Focal Point
I did this in my 1st card by using a large brad.  But there are a number of other ways to use this technique simply by altering the color and size of a single brad compared to other elements on you project.
#2: Add Stickers to Them
I am soooo going to try this technique.  You need to use a larger size brad, but they you can add letters and/or numbers to them to create titles and more.  Very fun idea for changing up your titles....and who does not need more ideas for that.  My titles always feel so boring. :)
#3: Create a Dramatic Line
Using brads to create a line can help lead the viewer's eyes in the direction you want them to go.  In the card below the line of brads helps lead the views eyes to the sentiment. 

Supplies:  Brads (Kaisercraft), card stock, pattern paper (Graphic 45), felt flower, stamps (7 Gypsies, Tim Holtz and stitching stamp/unknown), embossing ink and powder, ink and die-cut (Martha Stewart). 

#4: Accent Die-Cuts and/or Stamps
Accent lines or outline die-cuts and stamps.  Use brads as a body for a butterfly.  This card is a great example of using brads to accent a stamp.
#5: Use as a Closure
I LOVE adding pockets and flaps to my scrapbook pages.  They are my secret weapon for adding more photos and journaling.  Brads are a great way to keep things closed until you want the viewer to open them. 
#6: Create a Flower Center
How could I create a list of ways to use brads and NOT include this tip?  We use it so often it is almost habitual.  I used it on both of my cards.  
#7: Layer Brads Together
This was a technique I had not tried before...but I really like it.  Using a smaller brad in front might have been a better idea, but learning is about trying new things.  The safe route is to do the same old thing....like using a brad as a flower center.  (Hey wait!  I did that too.)  


Supplies: Brads (Kaisercraft), die cut (Theresa Collins), stamps (Papertrey Ink), ink, fabric, flower die (Tim Holtz/Tattered Flowers), pattern paper (Basic Grey) and card stock.

#8: Color Them with Alcohol Ink
A girl always needs options to accessorize and coordinate. :)

#9: Add Texture with Embossing Powder, Glitter and/or Flocking Powder
Even more options to coordinate your brads to your projects.  Using glitter and flocking powder can also add texture.  My friend Deena Ziegler has a great short tutorial on coloring your brads with embossing powder.  

#10: Hang a Tag from Them
Well duh!  That is what that little hole is for.  I like to leave the string attached and then wrap it around the brad....like the one I used for the center of a flower. 
#11: Attach Ribbon to a Tag and/or Card
Using brads is a great alternative to adhesive for attaching elements like ribbon, trim, tags...and oh yeah flowers. 
#12: Use Them as Bullet Points on a List
Great idea for pocket or Project Life scrapbooking.  This card by Lucy Abrams is a great example.

So that is my list...now it is time to share yours.  Post your photos below or leave a response in the comments.  I would love to see your work.
Jeri'


No comments:

Post a Comment